This Saturday, Union Station hosts a fun, free DTLA event for the whole family. The 2nd Annual Union Station Summer Train Festival starts at 10 am, and includes opportunities for people to tour restored train cars from the 1940s, ‘50s and ‘60s. The festival, themed “Dreams in Motion,” will also offer an inside look at the future of train travel with state-of-the-art train cars from Metrolink and Amtrak.
Train tours will include:
- ZEPHYR FLEET: Silver Lariat and Silver Solarium, Silver Rapids three classic stainless steel streamlined Zephyrs from the 1940’s.
- THE UTAH – Vintage Parlor Café-Lounge Car from American Railway Explorer.
- NATIONAL FORUM – 1956 Pullman sleeper car from the Pacific Railroad Society Inc.
- METROLINK: Industry leading Tier 4 locomotive featuring a fuel-efficient engine that reduces emissions
- AMTRAK AND LOSSAN: Bi-level train cars alongside Pacific Surfliner cars.
Train enthusiasts will also enjoy 306-degree virtual reality experiences, including a train ride through the Swiss Alps. A variety of model railroads will be on display, and the Kids’ Zone will feature a Thomas the Tank Engine Play Area, face painting, arts and crafts, and train-themed games and entertainment.
Local vendors will include food trucks and Griffith Park Travel Town, which will offer model train supplies, toys and train merchandise. Check in at the Union Station Information Booth for a festival map and free Event Passport. The first 1,000 guests to complete the passport will receive a commemorative Summer Train Fest pin.
The best way to get to the Summer Train Fest is on public transportation. The LA Metro’s Red, Purple, Gold, and Silver Lines all carry passengers to Union Station.
July 14 (10 am – 5 pm)
Admission is free
800 N Alameda St
Los Angeles, CA 90012