Steve Grody has been documenting the evolution of graffiti for the last 27 years. He is the author of “Graffiti LA: Street Styles and Art” and has been featured on TedxSitka, as well as speaking at numerous universities and panels.
Join Steve on an alley walk in a genuine graffiti “yard,” where you’ll view walls decorated with graffiti and develop an understanding of the difference between street art, modern graffiti and gang writing, as well as the history of each in LA.
The tour will begin at Holy Grounds Coffee and Tea, where the group will have a beverage of choice (included in tour price). From there, Steve will lead the group along the railroad tracks to see and discuss the many walls painted in different styles. This is exactly the kind of out-of-the-way industrial place that graffiti writers love to beautify!
By the end of the walk, you’ll be able to recognize the differences between the four main forms of modern graffiti and understand its visual vocabulary, a skillset that any contemporary city dweller will find useful.
Graffiti Tours with Steve Grody are available to be booked for private groups in other locations, including the DTLA Arts District and South of Seventh (where he lived for 25 years), and on other dates. Contact us here to inquire or book a private group tour.
– Meeting location is at Holy Grounds Coffee.
– Dress for the sun: hat, long sleeve shirt, perhaps sunblock.
– Wear sturdy and closed-toe shoes (not sandals).
– A signed liability waiver will be required by all attendees
– Cartwheel Art reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the tour date, based on whether participation has reached the minimum of four persons.
– Advance Tickets Only. All Sales are Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.