Cartwheel Art Tours and Obscura Society of LA are offering a special Atlas Obscura Day & World Art Day Tour. The tour will be led by Cindy Schwarzstein, Cartwheel Art founder and Erin Johnson, Atlas Obscura field agent, who will be providing the opportunity for guests to immerse themselves through art in the following way:
– DISCOVER: how the British have influenced artists in Los Angeles and the UK through music, film literature, architecture, philosophy, the automotive industry, or science. A diverse group of artists working in a variety of mediums are , participating in the group show \Brit-fluence(d)\, a BritWeek art show at The Gabba gallery, curated by Cindy Schwarsztein, founder of Cartwheel Art.
From UK artists, who call LA home, to UK artists who have worked in LA—some of whom have painted murals on our streets including Animal Alley and The Container Yard—to artists living in LA who’ve been influenced by British Culture, \Brit-fluence(d)\ celebrates British Culture in LA and this tour will provide not only a sneak peek preview to guests before the show opens on April 23rd, but several artists will be speaking personally about their relationship, on the tour with us.
There will also be an opportunity for a sneak peek of the special interactive installation with an alter, created by Plastic Jesus (UK) x Teale Hatheway (LA), that will encourage guests to engage in paying homage to what has personally influenced them with British culture.
A list of artists in the \Brit-fluence(d)\ BritWeek art show are as follows:Jonny Arnold (UK), Will Blanchard aka Wildcat Will (UK), Nicholas Bonamy (LA), Brandon Boyd (LA), Inkie (UK), Fanakapan (UK), Robert “Sticky” Shaw (LA), Joey Feldman (LA), Teale Hatheway (LA), Himbad (UK),Plastic Jesus (LA), Jay Kantor (LA), Dr. Paul Koudournais (LA), Captain Chris (UK), Stone Larkin (LA), Xany Rudoff (LA), Otto Schade (UK), Cherrie Strong (UK)
– EXPLORE: the Gabba Arts District with curator Jason Ostoro. It’ s here where we will view the over eighty murals that canvas the alleyways, stairways dumpsters, gated fences and garage doors., all painted by international and LA artists.
A list of artists that have painted murals in the Gabba Art District are as follows: Dourone, Jason Botkin, Katie Green, Raphael Grischa, Phobik, Moncho1929, Andrea LaHue aka Random Act, Jason Ostro, Jennifer Korsen, Bandit, LOUDLABS, Peter Greco, MD MN, Clinton Bopp, Annie Preece, Matt Gondek, Gianni Arone, The Bleep Bloop, SpaceGoth, Johnny Brushstrokes, Wrdsmith, Thrashbird, Sketchy, Teachr, Septerhed, ThanksOne, Jules Muck, KrossD, Save the Panduhs, Mar, Blandy, Dourone, LeBA, ZLA, Afrika_47 aka Ralph Zimon and Pastey Whyte
– EXPERIENCE: Historic Filipnotown.
Notes about this tour:
– This is a two mile walking tour. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
– Ages 12 and up. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
– Street parking is available, please read signs carefully and park at your own discretion.
– A portion of the proceeds go to the artists and Atlas Obscura.
– Photography is encouraged! Tag the following::
Cartwheel Art: @cartwheel_art #cartwheelarttours
Atlas Obscura: @atlasobscura #atlasobsucra #obscuraday
The Gabba Gallery: #alleyproject #gabbaartdistrict
BritWeek: #britfluenced #britweek
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final.
Top photo by Erin Johnson (Obscura Society LA)
Collaborative mural and trash can in alley. Photo by Erin Johnson (Obscura Society LA)
Mural (WIP) by Phobik God. Photo by Erin Johson (Obscura Society LA)
Mural in alley. Photo by Erin Johnson (Obscura Society LA)
Mural in alley by Dourone. Photo by Erin Johnson (Obscura Society LA)
Sneak peek of John Lennon by Otto Schade from \Brit-flunece(d)\ art show
Sneak peek by Robert “Sticky” Shaw from \Brit-fluence(d)\ art show